Sunday, November 12, 2006

Captain Caffeine

I have survived my first twilight shift. Just. You might be wondering about the title (I am also, but just work with me with this for a moment). The first part of the evening was slow, mostly with 'interesting' calls. Calls that didn't seem to quite go according to plan. Then I had my first break at 21.30 and my first cup of coffee. At some time or other, I am bound to have mentioned that I'm very careful with my favourite vice. I make sure that I don't have more than 3 cups of coffee a day, and never after 14.00; otherwise I turn into Manic Bunny, and that is not a pleasant experience, for me, or for those unfortunate enough to be near me. That first coffee was lovely; it bucked me up no end. At my second break at 23.00, I thought it was a great idea to have another one. I was positively smoking after that. By about 1am the shakes had started and so did the awkward calls. The calls made by muppets. People who needed me to ring them back on their mobile phones and then left the phone off.

My penultimate call was from a gentleman who was prepared to argue that the grass was blue and that I was being a right bitch for asking him all these stupid questions. Normally, any hint of confrontation and my flight response kicks in. I'm not into emotional arguments at all. I'm a wreck, if I get told off or make a mistake. Not tonight though. I was assertive, I told him off, I took no shite. What I'm really proud about is that I managed to process the call and get him through to the nurse who was sat beside me. Normally, I'd be quaking and doing a runner. Given the trouble he was causing me I could have hung up on him. Oh no. Not me Captain Caffeine! I sorted it and I was polite, if firm.

The downside of this. Well, lets see. It's gone 2.30 am and I'm still buzzing. I did manage to put my head down this afternoon, but I am knackered. Knackered and buzzing is not a good combination. I think I'll be doing quite a bit of surfing for a while yet.

There's no one else to talk to. Everyone else is in bed. :-(

5 comments:

  1. i can sympathise with the caffine heebeejeebee's. sorry hon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:34 pm

    The caffeine come down is a bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a challenging line isn't it? I find that difficult too. To put an early end to a conversation where someone is being a pain or to stick with it and be assertive.

    Good you managed to be assertive if it's not a normal first response for you :~)

    Each individual situation being different, i tend to decide when i'm a little into the conversation. I don't like admitting it but it also depends on the depth of relationship i have with someone when they start getting heated.

    Love the poppies picture, understated yet somehow more powerful and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite being a massive coffee glugger I'd always felt a bit immune to the effects of caffine. Then I gave up smoking - apparently heavy smokers only feel about half the effects of caffine, if that.

    I didn't sleep properly for two weeks, yet I wasn't tired. One day I famously woke at 4 in the morning, decorated my hallway, caught a train to Todmorden and walked 15 miles, then came home to a Roddy Frame gig in leeds.

    It's settled right down again now (though I still don't smoke) but I miss being able to cram a day and a half into each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:22 pm

    Dianne - The assertiveness thing is silly with me, I'm fine as long as any encounter doesn't escalate into conflict. The minute there's disapproval or a raised voice...I'm mush. What a woos, eh?

    I'm glad you liked the poppies. I loved your poem. It's good these things are acknowledged.

    Gary - I feel exhausted just reading that. That's obviously where I've been going wrong ~ I'm not drinking enough coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...