Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hangover Cures

Gertie the Frog came over last night and we had a lovely bottle of red, which is now a dim memory. One of the things I learnt last night is that you should only pour Baileys into clean glasses. Pouring it into a glass that previously held red wine makes it curdle. Trust me, it's not nice. Really.

The plan last night was to watch DVDs and loads of them, we drank wine, chatted about work and moaned about callers, ate pizza, drank more wine, chatted about men. Drank more wine, chatted about families. Did lots of hugging and squeaking when her parents text her to say her sister had her baby. It was a lovely evening.

Not so lovely feeling this morning. Especially when Boy announces we have to go into town to get a present for the birthday party he was invited to this afternoon. The Xmas shopping bonanza has started. Cheerful shoppers, smilling happily with their gifts, laughing at their kid's jokes, clearly enjoying the feeling of warmth and togetherness - not. I was so glad to get home. This evening has been relaxed, friends popped round with posh bickies and a bottle of wine, it was so good to catch up with them.

I'm going to let you into a little secret. I've been looking at MAs in Fine Art. I think I want to be an artist. Oh dear Goddess, did I say that out loud? I will always write, one way or another, but I don't get up in the morning thinking 'I've got to write this down'. When you talk to writers, or listen to them being interviewed, it's an obsession with them. I'm not obsessed by writing, but I am obsessed by my Creative Practice. When I was so low in the summer, it was that which kept me going. Yes, I know. This way lies madness. I have no idea how I'm going to do it, or pay for it, but something will work out. If it's meant to be, it'll happen.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:38 pm

    Does the curdling make a difference after having consumed red wine? Surely enough red wine and it wouldn't ;~) I think i would drink the Baileys first.

    Oo, even posh bickies, don't tell IM, i think he likes cookies.

    How wonderful! You will never know about the artist in you unless you go for it. You sound like you have good friends who will help you through the madness, and then, there's always us on here :~)

    I smell a whiff of excitmeent in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:48 pm

    Trust me on this Dianne, curdled Baileys is not nice, no matter how much red wine there was to start with. I had forgotten I had a bottle kicking round, only until after the wine was gone.

    Unfortunately for IM, all the bickies have been eaten.

    Thanks so much, your support is greatly appreciated. I am just starting to look at courses in London and it's clear I'm going to have to go have a snout around, publicity brouchure always makes everything look so nice and shiney.

    It's excitement and a heck of a lot of fear. I'm going to try and find a way of moving us down there. OMG...I'm bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:41 pm

    oooo how exciting...as Dianne says you won't know unless you try and half the fun is trying new things and going to new places...

    as for curdled baileys... haven't tried it with red wine but (it sounds disgusting I know) if you pour Baileys into vermouth it goes into some kind of curdled chewy lump - it's a highly addictive, chewy cocktail called monkey's balls - trust me it's yummy! Our house is currently obsessed with a bottle of mint baileys we bought for xmas but we are drinking it in the traditional fashion over ice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baileys and ice, delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...