Sunday, January 07, 2007

Chilli to Make Grown Men Cry

It occurs to me that quite a few people reading this blog, are single or living on their own. One of the most difficult challenges living on your ownsome, is cooking. Cooking for one can be dull, boring and the temptation of ready meals, overwhelming. So I thought I would share one of the mainstays of our diet. Chilli. This is my Nigella impression.

First thing you've got to do, is the shopping. Take a walk around where you live, see whether you've got a butcher nearby. I know this sounds ludicrous in the age of the supermarket. But trust me on this; a good, local butcher is worth his weight in gold. Apart from the flavour of the meat, you're less likely to have to pour off half a pint of fatty water when cooking said meat. I buy steak mince. Its got a fuller taste and is less fatty. While you're out searching for your butcher, keep an eye out for a veg shop. I like small shops. I like the fact that they get to know your tastes, will put stuff aside for you, or order stuff in for you. I'm really blessed. I have a butcher and a fish and veg shop within spitting distance of each other. Shopping is a pleasure, not a chore, it always takes longer because I always end up chatting to people behind the counter.

Anyway, for the chilli you will need:
  • a handful of steak mince
  • a tin of chopped tomatoes
  • a tin of kidney beans
  • red/yellow pepper
  • medium onion (red preferably)
  • chilli powder
  • paprika
  • garlic
  • sun-dried tomatoe paste
  • 70% dark chocolate
  • a tin of lager (not too cheap and nasty)
If you're feeling the onset of scurvy, throw in a carrot, handful of mushrooms into your basket as well, oh and some cumin and oregano. You'll also need to add rice, Cheddar and maybe some sour cream if you're ignoring your scales.

Dice the pepper and onion and fry in a large saucepan with a little bit of oil. I always measure my spices out beforehand, because I watch too many cookery shows. Add 3 tsps of paprika to 1 tsp of chilli powder and a half a tsp of cumin, the more asbestos your tongue and stomach, cut down the paprika and up the chilli, don't say I didn't warn you. Add spices to softened pepper and onion, stir in mince once the spicey concoction smells hot. Fry the mince until brown all the way through, add the contents of the tins of chopped tomatoes and kidney beans. Stir. Add as much garlic as you like, a spoonful of tomatoe paste, a shake of oregano, lager and a square of chocolate (we always operate on the One for Pot rule - one for the pot, two for the cook and assistant). Cover, turn down the heat and stir occasionally. It should be done in about an hour, feel free to cook for several hours if you fancy waiting. When the chilli is done serve with rice, grated cheese, sour cream and tissues. Enjoy.

The chilli will keep 5 days in the fridge and it also freezes if you have leftovers. Cookery is an art, not a science so experiment with different ingredients. Oh if you're in need of veggies, add the carrot to the pot when you're frying the mince, add the mushroom after everything else.

Have I done anything else today? Laundry, rambled round the internet, watched dire movies on the telly. It's been a good weekend. I can't say I'm ready for the week ahead, I'm not even ready for tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 pm

    Hmm, i smell something fishy.

    That chilli does sound rather tempting, i might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne ~ you smell something fishy? There are no fish ingredients in this chilli, I'm afraid.

    We had chilli take 2 tonight and it seemed to be a little bit spicier. Still very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm. Sounds lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:30 pm

    It is, unless Mum looked away when she's putting the in chilli.... Then you need a glass of milk at you side. ;D

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...