Thursday, January 18, 2007

Corking

I'm on my second cup of coffee, trying to get my brain to start functioning for the final push. Your good wishes and nagging have worked and I've met 2 out of 3 deadlines this week. My final deadline awaits at 11.00 for my Prose submission. I'm almost pleased about my poetry, half of the poems were actually passable, two were only apalling and the last one was not too dire. I am not a poet, but the discipline of writing poetry is so good for my Prose that I didn't want to give it up. I realise that it will pull my overall degree mark down, but as I'm doing the work anyway, I might as well get the marks for it. Oh. Sorry, we've already had this conversation.

I have yet to figure out why, when I have a spate of sleepless nights although I feel like rubbish the next morning, I always feel so much worse, when I do have a good night. Answers on a postcard please.

I was doing my daily news trawl and I came across this article from the BBC Online Magazine. Reminds me of a visit from Hottie last year. She drove me to Waitrose to stock up on wine for the evening. We headed to the Naughtiness aisle, which in Waitrose is the size of a couple of large squash courts. We start looking for appropriate bottles. Hottie will drink anything, I will only drink Red, white wine gives me the most amazing heartburn, and to me tastes like vinegar. We picked up a bottle of Banrock Sparkling Red as a treat, for us and the environment.We're having a look through the shelves and I pick up a bottle and flash it for Hottie's approval. She looks at me as if I've just pulled something nasty from the local JobCentre. "Screw tops, " she informed me. "Are for the seriously alcoholic, or the terminally lazy." At which point I just cracked up. The guy who was standing next to us, trying to chose his poison for the evening, stopped and glared at us. Undaunted, Hottie looks him in the eye and says "How desperate are you if you can't manage to open a bottle with a corkscrew?"

I must admit I do agree with her. Corks are classy. Regular visitors to my abode will atest to my recycling activities, which do not happen often enough. Having your worktop crowded with bottles and corks is far more appealing than empty plastic bottles and squashed tetrapaks. And as was pointed out to me on Friday, if I really was an alcoholic, I would hide the evidence better.

10 comments:

  1. Stop buggering about in blogdom and get your work done! :)

    Oh wait... I could say the same thing to myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:55 pm

    I made it, with time to spare. I am sooo lastmin/procrastinator.com.

    Now suffering from not enough sleep and too much caffeine. Manic Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jose Mourinho would be proud of you. Did you see those ads he did telling you to choose corks? They are manufactured in Portugal.
    Speaking as a trainee alcoholic I don't mind as long as it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:29 pm

    I like the idea of corks and showily pulling one out before settling down to a nice glass of red, unfortuantely my sister has an allergy to the stuff that the wine makers put in the wine when they use corks (I'm afraid that's as technical as it gets with me).

    So if she has wine from a bottle with a cork in, usually there's a massive asthma attack not long after. So when she's visiting I have to run the gauntlet of buying screwtop bottles....she also has shit taste and I have to buy nasty german stuff like liebfraumilch which so doesn't do anything for my streeetcred...But I suppose if I'm buying screwtop bottles there's not much left anyway!

    Yay for you finishing your work - I find doing things last min focusses the mind...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:41 pm

    Welcome Kaz, lovely to see you here. No I didn't see the Jose Mourinho ads...as I think he's dishy in a broody, latin kind of way...damn.

    May I take this opportunity to wish you every success in your chosen subject. As they say somewhere in Eastern Europe 'Prost'.

    NM ~ I was certainly focussed this morning, I can tell you. Thanks again for your encouragement, it's good to know I have my own personal cheerleading squad with pom poms and bovver boots to keep me going.

    Tough breaks about your sister's allegeries...liebrfraumilch....isn't that used to clean mirrors and windows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:39 pm

    Forget remembering...Forget thinking...Just be yourself, and your trinidadian dadatoo...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Horace ~ welcome and thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:22 am

    Only a trainee alcoholic? Honey you ain't lived... there are some vreally classy wines out there (and not necessarily divided by the cork/screwtop battle) and there's dome crap - in general, if it's labelled "Australian" it's probably more or less ok, if it's labelled "Lambrini" then chavs drink it and it's not...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:23 am

    shit where's the spellchecker?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cogidubnus ~ I must admit I am partial to Australian wines. I am particularly fond of Merlot. There have been some years in which the Merlots have been soft, fruity with a buttery after taste...yummy. Then there are others...

    I do like my wine.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...