Saturday, January 06, 2007

Displacement Stuff

I'm sitting here, thinking about the things I need to be doing, should be doing and must be doing. Which is why I'm sitting here. Today, Boy has a friend who will be sleeping over, so all I need to do is feed them and keep out of their way. In a minute, I'll drag them down to the shops to get some food in the house for tonight and the week ahead.

I've had a very busy few days. My Super rang me on Wednesday and we briefly discussed options. He's advised that I apply for extensions, extenuating circumstances and the year out; his logic is simply if I've got the back up and don't use it, no harm done. I must admit, the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to take the year out. I've only got 5 months to go, my creative work is all on track. It's only the dissertation which is tripping me up. I will spend this weekend tinkering away on my degree work, filling out forms and thinking. I have decisions to make.

Not all is dire though. I got invited to a posh do on Thursday by my Viking. It was lovely escaping for the day. It meant I had to travel by train. Damn. So I was one happy bunny staring out the window, letting my thoughts drift in and out. I just wish I could put my finger on why journeys resonate with me to the extent that they do. Anyway, it has been ages since I'd had an opportunity to get glammed up. I did go out and invest in some new shoes; M&S to the rescue. Getting ready is just a much fun as the actual going out. I know, it's a girly thing. But I got to put on make-up, a fabulous dress and new shoes; show me what woman wouldn't have fun? I don't think I embarrassed my Viking, he seemed fairly pleased that I scrubbed up okay.

The posh do was amazing! All of these fabulous women dressed up to the 9s, the men in d-js. The food was great, the drink cheap and the music danceable to. Yes, I was cruel, I made him dance with me. Needless to say, by the end of the evening, my feet were killing me. But it was worth it. I got spoilt rotten and had loads of fun. A lovely memory to counter-balance the difficult stuff.

9 comments:

  1. You have 'a Viking' ? I thought the women belonged to the Vikings rather than the other way around ;)

    They had those big spiky hats, the Vikings...

    What about yours, is he horny? ;)

    On a more serious note (no, really :) ), applying for extensions does sound sensible, but certainly, the whole year thing is much more of 'a thinker'.
    I guess the potential problem with applying for an extension though is that as soon as you know it's there, it can be easy to just use it without really thinking about it. All of a sudden, things get put off, because you don't need to do it yet, after all...

    Good luck figuring all your decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:02 pm

    IM ~ You know me well, if I got an extention I would definitely use it with my dissertation. I don't think I need it for the other work, but I'll apply anyway. To be honest at the moment, I'm making lunch for the boys and me and concentrating on not thinking.

    I didn't really think about the possessiveness angle of calling him 'my Viking' and technically you're right, historically it was the other way round.

    *slaps Monkfish round the head*

    You are so naughty! And as the great quote goes from House of Cards "....I couldn't possibly comment".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:18 pm

    It's a sort-of balanced, modern arrangement.

    She plunders, I pillage...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:31 pm

    It's all good.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:13 am

    spam spam spam spam
    spam spam spam spam
    spam wonderful spam
    wonderful spam....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:44 am

    Hello Monty ~ I see....spam with a slight difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or maybe he's just a big Monty Python fan?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had forgotten that. They're all vikings in there, aren't they :)

    Ah, here we go :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good grief. Many thanks for that Monty and Monkfish.

    For the record, although I'm fond of Vikings, I don't like Spam and am not keen on corned beef either. Blerrch.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...