Monday, January 01, 2007

Saddam Hussein

It's not often I feel motivated to write about political issues. I suppose I just suffer from overwhelming apathy with regards to the events which unfold on the political stages around the world. It's not that I lack an opinion, it's more that I haven't wanted to use my blog as my personal soapbox. I think there are people out there who are better informed, more articulate and more interesting than my tuppence worth.

Today, I feel slightly different. On Saturday, Saddam Hussein was executed. Today's Guardian led with the picture of him hanging from the noose and I felt very uncomfortable to the point of distress. The accompanying article is very worrying indeed. I leave you to draw your own conclusions, but I think a grave mistake has been made.

I am not denying that Hussein was a nasty piece of work, and he did many things which are morally reprehensible. But the account of his execution is truly appalling. In this I agree wholeheartedly with Moby, it is wrong to celebrate his death. He was someone's son, someone's father. How much hatred will be stirred up by this? How has his final humilliation and death served peace?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:41 pm

    No argument there Roses. Very distressing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:16 pm

    Perhaps I'm hard-hearted but I can't say I'm bothered he was executed if that is the normal law of the land over there...

    What I do find disgraceful, however, is the degree of lurid and tasteless media attention (akin to bringing back the spectacle of public beheadings or the like) - I am particularly appalled to see a photograph of a hanged man in a British paper - as you say, no matter what he's done he doubtless has family somewhere...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...