Thursday, March 15, 2007

Heart's a Mess

Many thanks to Ing for the Gotye track, it's now stuck in my head and is on permanent loop. Cheers. Really.

I should really start off by apologising if this is slightly incoherent. I've been working on this bloody dissertation since last week Thursday, pretty much to the exclusion of all else. My friends, if I have any left by the time this piece of shit - sorry research - is done, deserve to be bought a drink for my neglect. Meet me in the pub round the corner next Thursday. It's on me.

I hate the fact that I've done this to myself, turned this dissertation into a monster under the bed. Now I'm into it, it's great fun and although my energy levels have dipped, I'm still fascinated by my reading and my subject matter.

People keep asking me about after the degree. One thing is for certain, I won't be doing an academic MA. As for the rest of it; I haven't got a clue. I'm still enjoying the work at the department store and it suits me for the moment to be a temp with no responsibilities. I'm very wary of accepting any committments at this stage. I feel like I've lept off the edge of a cliff and I'm gliding around, looking down at the opportunities beneath me, but there's more stuff over the horizon I'd like to look at before I set down.

Not bad for a control-freak eh? I'm rather proud of myself for this new attitude. I was having a chat to Gee about this the other day, I was worrying that I'd just end up fannying about forever. Her laugh was genuine and reassurring. Apparently, I'm allowed to fanny for a bit and she says I never fanny for very long anyway. So rather than making a list of things I'm going to do in the summer and autumn, maybe a list of things I could do, if I feel so inclined.

Hmmm...I think I'll still be blogging, so you needn't worry.

4 comments:

  1. I don't undestand these people who do one degree after another until it becomes an addiction.
    I got mine, was drunk for several days and that was that.

    The only test I took after that was the St John's first aid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you don't strike me as a long-term fannier :)

    I am really glad to hear that, despite the monster-under-the-bed feel, you are enjoying it :)

    Keep kicking that monster's butt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:46 pm

    Fannying around is good sometimes and needed, although as a fellow control freak, I'm not so good at it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:50 pm

    Kaz - I'm afraid I am one of those people you don't get. This is my second BA. My first was in Development Studies. I had a change of heart as far as my career was concerned and this was the best way forward for me. I'm still tempted by the MA in Digital Practice though.

    Monkfish - Have started kicking its butt a lot harder today. And thanks for the vote of confidence.

    Monkey - I suppose my worry about long term fannying, is that I find it way too easy to be lazy and I'm concerned that when I hit my 50s I'll think...I wish I would have done so and so...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...