Tuesday, March 27, 2007

journeying

Now the spectre of the dissertation has been exorcised, all of the things that I've been putting off are jumping up and down. They can jump by themselves for a bit. I've not got the energy or the inclination to start dealing with them yet.

The dissertation dealt with one of the questions that I first posed when I started this blog...what is it about travel/journey that has the power to bring about personal change? I think I can answer it now. My suggestion if you are the kind of person who loathes academia and bullshitese or personal stuff, to click on one of the links next to this, visit one of my mates, and pop back for a coffee tomorrow.

Everyone travels in one way, shape or form. Whether commuting by car, bus, or train and then there's the planet-killing airplane. Getting into your metal transportation method enables you to switch off your job description for the moment i.e. parent, worker etc and allows you to fill your brain with something else.

When I've been travelling round on the 25 bus, it has amazed me how people make the bus their own personal space: have intimate conversations, pick their noses, cry. This is despite the 30-70 other people sitting/standing next to them. In a bus, everyone is equal. Doesn't matter if you're employed, a student, a mum, an OAP, you've still got to buy your ticket and grab a seat next to someone else. You're essentially sharing your space with 30 other peoples' daydreams.

If you walk, or use a car, the experience changes again, and I like that transient feeling of community that a bus creates. It's social, and I guess I'm a social person. Oh, I realised I left out the bullshitese. In academic speak: a bus creates a liminal space i.e. a space between states, where normal rules don't apply and as Alix said 'it's a space pregnant with possibilites'. Most people just switch off, and given the frantic pace of modern life, that's not necesarily a bad thing.

I use the bus journey to work out plots for stories, personal issues and day dream. Since June when I actively charted my journeys and started this blog, I've been able to deal with some major stuff which has been cluttering up my life. I've made some new friends, strengthened older friendships and I no longer feel like I've got to be in control of life. I'm far more relaxed and hopeful about my future.

I've got a question for you: what did you think about on today's journey? I'm just interested. Be anonymous if it helps, but I'd just like to know what other people think about while they're travelling about.

10 comments:

  1. Random things such as:

    Why are they always playing crap on the radio?

    What time will I finish my shift?

    Did I get enough sleep last night?

    Why is the person in front consistently driving 10mph under the speed limit in dry, bright conditions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dissertation actually sounds very interesting.

    Shamefully I can't even remember what I thought about on the journey into work this morning, but I think I might actually try to avoid thinking on my journeys. I deliberately read the awful free papers and listen to music so that I can clear my mind of my usual worries. But doing these things form an important routine and if this routine is disturbed (no paper, no seat, bad delays etc) it knocks me off course for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:05 pm

    I'd never thought about travelling like that and even tho' I'd read your intro piece about journeys I'd never realised that's what the dissertation was about (duh! - sometimes I amaze myself with my stupidity - hey monkfish can I join your CATFUMA gang?).

    I use my journey to and from work to distance myself from home/work if that makes sense.

    On the way in, I'll consider what's important today, what I need to do, what i should have done yesterday but couldn't be arsed to do etc etc...unless I'm hungover then I sleep...all the way in..slumped in my seat and probably dribbling...(highly attractive I know!)

    On my way home, I often plan dinner or my evening or chores i have to do then I'll get them out of the way when I get in.

    Interspersed in all that is sometimes a paper or people watching...

    As sanddancer says no seat, bad delays I'm grumpy for hours afterwards (must be a london commuter thing) but i'm learning (slowly) to let that not bother me so much as it's just not worth letting it get me down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terribly sorry NM, but I feel that you'll have to put in a great deal more (erm, or is it less?) effort to reach the CATFUMA gang based on your stated reasons for joining there ;)

    Roses, did the title of your diss change from the one you posted in here originally? Sorry if that's an obvious answer, but I feel a little unsure...

    Way in: Normally "Oh gosh, I'm late"

    Way out: "Oh gosh, it's late"

    (Replacing "Gosh" with whatever word is appropriate given my stress levels at the time ;) )

    Actually, I don't recall having been too thoughtful recently. Perhaps because the journey is shorter, has fewer queues, and I have the radio on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:42 pm

    I usually walk most of my way to school with my headphones on and as for what I'm thinking...well it's mainly "God I hope the class are ok today" or "I am SO tired". When I'm on the bus home I'm usually asleep thirty seconds after sitting down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:11 am

    I board the bus each day accompanied by my black bag (no I'm not A J Cronin)...within I carry a CD player plus assorted CDs, an MP3 player (belt and braces you see!), and at least a couple of books...

    (not to mention the working papers..please don't mention the working papers).

    Provided I'm not ear-holed by someone I know, I settle in for a rare and glorious 25 minutes or so of reading, accompanied by music...during which I try my best not to think at all...heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ing ~ the person curb crawling in front of you is part of a greater conspiracy to annoy and make you late. As soon as you leave the house in your car, legions of elderly people in flat caps, tractors and cyclists using walkie talkies find out which way you're travelling and endeavour to drive in front of you. :-)

    sanddancer ~ my diss was really interesting, if I didn't procrastinate so much, I would have really enjoyed it. D'oh!

    NM ~ this blog is more about my Creative Practice (my art dahling) rather than my diss. The fact that they've been pretty much about the same thing has been fun.

    Umm...well, I suppose that's the thing about arty stuff, it gets you to look at the ordinary from a different angle. My favourite angle is 45' because you can still tell which way is up.

    Monkfish ~ my final title was "Tourist into Pilgrim: the transformation of Ernesto into Che Guevara" which looked at the role of journey in transforming the cheeky young lad into rebel merchandise. Have had several heated debates about communism and dictatorship along the way, with someone near and dear to me.

    cogidubnus ~ I had to look up AJ Cronin, very interesting character. You will notice that despite my burning curiosity, I have not mentioned the working papers...bugger.

    gertie and everyone else, thanks for coming back to me on your travel thoughts. I seem to have underestimated how much people need to have the space created by the journey to 'arrive' at work and then to 'arrive' home again. The commute seems to provide a bit of peace and quiet, even if it isn't peaceful and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:17 pm

    I am, at present, still on my bicycle (with basket) and tend to think in the present moment.

    *This car driver beside me obviously doesn't understand the cycle lane markings on the road or must have tunnel vision. Either that of they want their passenger side door scratched by my handlebars for reasons i can not fathom*

    *Shall i get off and walk up this hill in a respectable manner or shall i cycle like a maniac desperate to reach the top before i run out of steam, whilst being passed by toned thighs, pert bottoms and mountain bikes*

    *I really need a more suitable bicycle*

    *I really need to get another car*

    *Does my bum look big on this?*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:18 pm

    NB

    That should have been "...pert bottoms ON mountain bikes."

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Dianne :)


    I am impressed that you are "at present, still on your bicycle (with basket)"

    That's some mighty fine typin' while ridin'.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...