Thursday, March 29, 2007

Red Shoes and Wedding Dresses

Hah! Made you blink! :-)

Seriously though, I have been scouring the shops for a dress to wear to Alix's wedding. In the House of Frasier I found one, with a matching cardigan. Perfect in every which way but one. There is quite a lot of red in the dress; which means I'm in a bit of a shoe dilemma. The dress is white with red flowers and a red sash, so obviously I have to get shoes to match. I still remember when it was fashionable to take the piss out of white stilettos, and I still think they look naff; and the more WAGs wear them, the more I think so. Which means I have to find red shoes. Not a problem, you think. Why is this worth a blog posting, you think.

Except I've realised that red shoes are a little bit naughty.

I've been going from shop to shop looking at red shoes in all their glory and I couldn't figure out why I was so reticent. Then today it gradually dawned on me why. Red shoes are temptation. They are for naughty women. This is why I have been putting off buying the fabulous dress, because I'd have to buy naughty shoes.

Think about it. The Red Shoes is a folk-tale about a girl who loved to dance and loved red shoes. That didn't have a happy ending. She ended up a footless penitent. A cautionary tale for women who like to boogy with deviant footwear, I feel.

Which made me think about life, the universe and where I am in this cosmic puzzle. I still don't have the answers to most of my questions, and that's pretty cool. The journey is ever so much fun, and I'm certainly not bored yet.

Any ideas where to get a fabulous pair of naughty shoes? Preferably with ankle breaking heels and tiny straps, sparkles always appreciated.

9 comments:

  1. I see your dilema, I for one have been searching high and low for just the right pair of red shoes for about 5 years now. It always ends up that I have the money and red shoes are out or I don't have the money and red shoes are in.
    Have you tried Imeldas? I realise that is probably a really dumb question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. White heels are usually pretty vile - I never want to release my inner-WAG.

    There is something rather decadent about red shoes. I don't really wear proper heels but low-heeled red shoes I have feel a bit attention-seeking, 'look at me' so I have to be in the right mood to wear them.

    There is a third option - you could go with something in a completely different colour from the dress. A green might work as a strong contrast. Or a silver pair (although these again can be hard to find without straying into Wag-territory).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weren't Dorothy's (Wizard of Oz) shoes red?

    I have no idea why I think that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:58 pm

    *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:03 pm

    Have you tried the opposite approach?... What about finding a pair of (naughty if you wish) shoes you really like, and THEN looking for a dress to match?

    As there are clearly more dresses out there than shoes, then this is surely more logical?

    OK, Yes I know, back to the cellar goes poor old cogi in disgrace again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yup Dorothy's shoes where indeed Red. And sparkly! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:01 pm

    my grandma always used to say 'red shoes and no knickers' which has stuck with me for years, so much so it was only a few years ago I got my first pair of red footwear - red trainers - I still always think of my grandma and her saying when I wear them!

    Definitely no to white shoes - I like sanddancers idea of another colour

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:10 pm

    I used to work with a girl from South Africa who subscribed to something along the lines of the "red shoes no knickers", although to her thinking it meant "on a promise". At least that's what I assume because when I wore red shoes two days running she exclaimed "Didn't get lucky then!" Which in a busy office is just charming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what I love about you guys, you just get me!

    I will keep looking for a pair of red shoes, because although it's likely to be a no-win situation, I've just got the idea into my head.

    sanddancer ~ M&S have some really nice green heels at the moment that I could get away with...I will use them as my fall back position.

    cogidubnus ~ no, that was a very sensible suggestion, unfortunately, I've already bought the dress and it is just FAB.

    Monkey and Gertie ~ that's exactly my point, though I can't remember being told that saying exactly. Perhaps I'm just going through a naughty stage...who knows?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...