Thursday, April 26, 2007

Three Part Post

Part One:

This image and about 90 others like it, is basically how I've been spending my time on the buses. It's a bit scary to think that in four weeks time, I will have completed my installation for my degree show, and so endeth my work at the College. Eeek! I'm still thinking seriously about the MA in Digital Art as a potential way forward for me as it will mean more self-generated projects like Journeying. Plus, at the end of my time I'll be able to go for better jobs than I can at the moment, specifically in the creative industries (whatever that means, I am merely repeating what the very kind careers officer told me). If I do decide to do the MA, I'll do it part-time as it will give me more breathing space to work and to grow creatively. Having said all of that, I'm not making any decisions that are set in concrete. I'm determined that I will take my time and see what opportunities present themselves. I've also been looking every week at the Guardian's Media page to see what's floating about. This indecision is unusual for me, I'm more the 'push-past-the-angels-and-bugger-the-consequences' type of girl, which has been fun, it must be said. At the moment, I'm very aware of the effect of my pending decision and I want to make the best possible one.

Part Two:

This is my Proud Mum Moment. This evening Boy and I met The Teachers at his school, to discuss his progress in the first year of high school. Our meetings with said teachers were brief. They pretty much all ran along the lines of: he's a keen student, he participates in class, he's pleasant to teach, he works hard, he's doing really well. In some cases, exceptionally well. Boy wants to be a vet, like his uncle Atlas. He's taken on board that he's going to have to be completely committed and motivated to do it and he's walking the talk. How proud am I? We went out to dinner to celebrate. He rocks!

Part Three:

This is a Big-Up for Gertie. If you have been clicking on my link, you will no doubt know that Gertie has been having a bit of a rough time lately. We first met working with NHSD, where she wasn't only working silly shifts, but also doing supply teaching around Norfolk. She had just qualified and thanks to a surplus of teachers in Norfolk, was without a permanent teaching position. So, she would finish at NHSD at 2am, go to bed for a few hours and then be up in time to teach a bunch of reception year kids numeracy and literacy at 8am. She had to move to Kent to a less-than-ideal temporary job and has had to deal with unruly kids (and I'm being kind in my description) as well as piss poor management.

I'm asking you to give Gertie a Big-Up because although life is being generally shite to her at the moment, she is still committed 100% to teaching. I'm just amazed by her fortitude and strength of purpose. Teaching is her dream job and as hard as it is now, I just know that she'll land that fab teaching job. In my skewed view of reality, success is The Outcome for that much determination and hard work. I'm so chuffed she's my friend. Go Gertie. Go Gertie.

6 comments:

  1. A comment in three parts:

    1) Keep mulling over your options for the future for as long as you need, but looking forward to the next installment whatever it may be.

    2) Ahh! Sounds like you've got a good one there! And I suspect it has alot to do with you being a pretty good mother.

    3) Best wishes to Gertie. I don't envy you but much respect for doing a tough job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Well, enjoy yourself whatever you do :)

    2) I know a mum with a 13 year old girl that mentioned recently that her girl was wanting to be a vet. She said she told her that "That means knowing the skeleton of every living thing, you know" (I think she was teasing ;) )... "Girl" is now thinking about becoming a doctor ;)
    Meanwhile... Way to go, Boy! :)

    3) Hey there Gertie, I shall try to add your blog to my list of ones I think about looking at. I'm not doing a very good job at looking at my fave regulars at the moment though, let alone new ones :) I mean I've been "thinking" about trying to keep up with Sanddancer's for ages :)
    Anyway, I think it's great when you see people who know what they want to do :) Lots of people don't know :) When you know what those dreams are, as Roses almost said, you go girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:23 pm

    1) Great image...I say take your time and fathom out what's right for you, whilst seeing what opportunities come up - sometimes unexpectedly they lead to the most exciting things...

    2) Well done boy and well done you - you guys rock and are obviously a great team...

    3) Go Gertie...I so admire teachers, because I know I couldn't do it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:01 pm

    Is that a rabbit at the bottom of that shot, by the bicycle!? A green rabbit with white eyes.

    ~ lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. sanddancer, IM, NM ~ thanks for that, your support is very much appreciated.

    dianne ~ green rabbit? eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:28 pm

    I'm touched (and not just in the "slightly mental" sense). And I do feel I should majorly big up Roses too. My dear, I've not known you for that long but you are one of the nicest people I've ever met. Your generosity of spirit is just incredible. You are ACE! Seriously. I only wish I didn't live so damn far away at the moment so we could have more coffee at Espresso (although that recent latte I think had only looked at the coffee pot).

    Inspector - I can't promise my blog will interesting but there will be moaning. That I can guarantee. :) And now, if you don't mind, I shall have a shuftie through yours...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...