Sunday, June 17, 2007

Civil Liberties

This post rides on the back of the coffuffle caused by a certain anon visiting the sites of well known police bloggers, some of whom are listed on my sidebar under Those Who Do, crowing about the death of PC Jon Henry. I'm finding it difficult keeping my temper about the whole situation, especially since he decided to pay a visit to my Viking. But, I have to say anon's comments started me thinking and I don't believe that's necessarily a bad thing (well apart from the fact that I'm about to bore you to tears with my musings).

Anon quite likes the word Nazi and bandies it about at any given rant. Quite interesting really as it carries with connotations of racism and repressive regimes, not to mention mass murder and war. In this context the polizei and SS were agents of Hitler's madness. Germans, as well as Jews lived in fear of the knock on the door in the middle of the night. People disappeared.

If we really did live in the repressive regime, anon makes out we do, I think he'd have been disappeared 3 days ago for leaving comments on the Agents of the Repressive Regime's blogs. He wouldn't have a paperwork trail. There wouldn't be any trace of him at all. He would just no longer be there, perhaps with his family leaving posters up 'Have you seen...?'.

Given that most of the Agents of the Repressive Regime he's been kicking up against are actively critical of the system they work within, complaining about the lack of resources, the endless paperwork to ensure fair trials, the helplessness at watching another family suffer as the bad guy walks...you get the picture. I don't somehow think any serving officer of the SS would have had a blog. Although, I have to remind you that Inspector Gadget has had real problems with the Dog with the Ginger Eyebrows, but despite this he still blogs (thank god).

I had a quick look at a firey exchange between regular commentors and a guy calling himself Mark on another of IGs posts. He quoted the high profile deaths of civilians at the hands of police officers. Spent a lot of time going on about the corrupt officers, etc. I found it interesting that given that the police arrest and detain how many thousands of people over the years, the figures Mark was quoting were in the low 30s. I wonder how that statistic would match up to the police officers who've died at the hands of the bad guys? In my ignorance I can only name a handful.

Sorry, I think I'm drifting off point. Having had my Boy (who is still lovely), watched both my parents die before my eyes, and my own spiritual persuasion, I believe that life is sacred. I also believe that life is truly difficult. Bad things happen to good people, without rhyme nor reason. It is so easy to say, I'm just going to look out for me, no bugger else counts. Me, me, me. It's not so easy to say I'm going to go to work, to try and make a difference today. Knowing that the people you're trying to help, don't want it, don't care and are making a Jerry Springer mess out of their lives, often at the expense of others.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I have nothing but respect to those who do. I don't have a lot of time for those who spread messages of hatred and violence.

10 comments:

  1. Hiya, all I can say is that the support of people like yourself keeps us going through any number of comments from the like of "anon".
    Thanks for what you've written. Seriously, it does mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:38 pm

    So so so true. Re your last comment, that's what got me with him, the fact that every police officer on IG's comments said they would still go to a call from "Mark" despite him telling them to f off because he would never accept help from "Nazi scum", crowing over PC Henry's death, wishing it on others & then at the end saying how his partner (who is a nurse & shares his opinion of police) had called saying "a police officer has been bottled & although he isn't going to die (boooo) he's f***ed"
    1. I have very serious concerns if his partner is a nurse & shares the same opinions as him, not true to her profession in that case. & 2. How dare he talk like that about people purely on the weight of their profession.

    He's so gleeful about it, I tell you he has some serious problems. I believe in karma & what goes around comes around, on e way or another he will get his comeuppance. And when it happens it won't come soon enough for me, I don't wish him death etc etc but like I said, karma.
    Completely agree with your post, it has made me even more determined to join up rather than put me off, which I think was the aim in the beginning partly as regards to me
    Even if joining up only leads to sorting people like this out constantly!
    Completely understand about it getting you cross because I don't know if you'd gathered but it has me unbelievably riled each time I think about it but then I take a deep breath & realise the people he's slagged off are the people who I respect & admire & would feel lucky to work with, looking at it like that "Mark" doesnt even figure :o)
    Top post Roses :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Thin Blue Line. I'm glad I can be of some use, cause I tell you, I couldn't do your job.

    Pop back for a cuppa any time.

    G*N*D ~ I read the exchange. I was pretty gobsmacked at the vileness of it. I hope you do join up. I did smile at the thought of you being a thug though. What a pratt.

    Glad you liked the post, I hope my ramble made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed Twining's comment on your blog and read the shocking comments by Anon over there and commented but just to say I agree with you. What is particularly awful is the way Anon using the word Nazi when their own stance was so hate-filled - the opposite of any true anti-Nazi. And even with whatever bad feeling they may have towards the police, to wish death upon people is just evil.

    Despite our occasional moans about politicans, we sometimes lose sight of the fact that we do not live in a police state - personally I've had very little contact with the police in my life and I hope it stays that way but I'm glad they are there. Like you, I couldn't do it myself, but I'm glad there are people who are willing to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roses, you've linked to me? I am flattered. Sanddancer, who knows what political agenda anon has. Even I am a "Nazi" and from the age of around 8, which was a, eh-hum, few years ago, as I have teenager, I have fought hard against any form of fascism. I have commented on some Islamists being racist covertly. I have recently commented on some Hindus having allegedly racial prejudices. I have heard for my self Anti Islamic views within the Hindu community. Not all Hindus are bad people, but it just goes to show that there are fascists in all ethnic groups. I will respond with why that article was important to policing. And now I stand accused for copying an article from the Evening Standard. It's hard enough dealing with an institution in denial. Take care both. Funny thing is I think I am one of two Black police bloggers that I know! I have always said others keep their head down and don’t speak out, but acquiescing will not make the world a better place. Neither of us have a bad agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I say I am "Nazi", I mean anon refers to me like that. I am anything but...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am ranting but I am accused by another blogger, not by anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sanddancer ~ I know exactly where you're coming from. I am still quite gobsmacked by anon, and more than a little bored by him. And as you know I deal really well with everything else except boredom. That I cannot abide.

    twinning ~ It's not been your week has it? I read the article and must admit, scratched my head at his stance. I suspect (not being able to follow a link to his homepage) that he is uncomfortable talking about racism between different non-white ethnic groups and would rather it all remain hush hush.

    As I said, I refuse to support any group that incites violence, hatred and visits suffering on innocents. And that goes for Tony Blair too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're good people you are.
    Don't worry about cuddles. He's just daft.
    It's funny how we're still called Nazis. A short lived political group from over half a century ago. There have been so many far worse since.
    I guess it's harder to spell Khmer Rouge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. busybizzie ~ yeah I think we're a pretty good bunch, which is probably why cuddles got up our collective noses...that and his bad grammar and spelling.

    By the way, welcome. Pop in for a cuppa and a bickie any time.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...