Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sunday, Sunday

This was one of the last weekends Boy and I have together before the madness of Christmas takes over and I wanted to make the most of it. We had company yesterday Bear and his lovely missus came over. We caught up over coffee, ciabattas stuffed with cheese, ham and salad and put the world to rights, lubricated by some fabulous elderberry wine from Scotland. It was lovely just being able to relax with good company and good food.

Today, Boy and I went for a walk. We started off with a hearty English breakfast at my favourite greasy spoon and then we headed off to UEA on foot, through the Avenues, and round about a council estate called South Park (I kid you not) until we finally fell over the university. It was a nostalgic meander, one which called up both good and sad memories. At UEA, Boy bought me a coke and we sat out and watched the world go by before we trouped around the body of water known as the Broad. We caught the bus back.

I'm still having difficulty with the thought that in 4 years time Boy will basically leave home. If he pursues his dream of becoming a vet, it means he'll be studying for 9 months of the year, with 3 months as work placement. Yes, I know he will come visit and vice versa. But he'll be setting out into the world as a man. I suppose it's a scary thought, simply because he'll be off, and I have no idea what I'll be doing with myself. Will I be writing? Will I be employed? Will I be a famous artist? Will I be on my own? With someone else? Will I still even be in Norwich, or England?

The scary thing is I don't even know how to go about answering those questions now. I'm just putting one foot in front of the other at the moment, moving steadily towards the day when I'll be a single-parent without my child. It's a pre-cursor to the Empty-Nest Syndrome I suppose. I'm not comfortable with the uncertainty, but as scary as it is, it's also exciting. Boy is going to be a Man. When he leaves home, it'll be the first time that I will experience life without the responsibility of another human being. Though apparently, I get to keep the cat. Joy. While we were walking and chatting, he said he didn't particularly want to drag her all over the country with him. So she has officially become mine. Just as well really.

4 comments:

  1. Freedom?
    That cat will make damn sure you don't enjoy it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cat is actually okay. Not terribly neurotic, only gets affectionate when hungry. Occasionally decides everyone has to be up at 5am worshipping her, but when you're as gorgeous as that, I suppose it's only right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go for a walk to UEA. Not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a double sofa bed. You could come over for a boogie at the Waterfront, we could have breakfast the next morning at the Unthank Kitchen and then we could all go for a walk round the broad.

    You'd be surprised at the changes round UEA, not so much green, lots of new buildings and car parks.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...